AboutH.E. DR. MAHMOUD ABU ZEID
- Former Minister of Water Resources & Irrigation of Egypt (12 years 1997-2009).
- President of the Arab Water Council (Since 2004 to date).
- Honorary President of the World Water Council for life since 2003.
- Former President of the National Water Research Center, Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, Cairo, Egypt (1979 - 1997).
- Member of UN Secretary- General’s Advisory Board on Water Supply and Sanitation (UNSGAB).
- Co-Chair of the UN High-Level Taskforce (HLT) for the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS), January 2010.
- Former President of the International Water Resources Association (IWRA).
- Hon. Vice President of the International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID).
- B.Sc Civil Engineering (1957),M.Sc Irrigation Engineering (1960), Ph.D Groundwater Hydrology (1962).
- Honorary Doctorate from IHE Delft University, the Netherlands.
- Holder of several awards and prizes.
- Author of more than 200 papers and 12 textbooks.
- He led the move towards on-farm Water Management and Integrated Water Resources Management in Egypt.
- Consultant for numerous international organizations: WB, WHO, CIDA, USAID, FAO, UNEP and UNESCO.
ADAPTING TO THE CLIMATE CHANGE AND URBAN RESILIENCE
•Increasing awareness to the consequences of climate change on informal urban areas
•Steps to be taken to reduce and control the impact of climate change to the vulnerable cities of Egypt
•Stressing on Urban agriculture to combat challenges including heat stress and food insecurity
•Integrated Urban Water Management (IUWM) to cope with Climate Change: Alexandria 2030 IUWM Strategic Plan
Theme: Sustainability and Technology